Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where did I come from: My start in genealogy

I began researching genealogy in 1995. There were a couple interesting stories passed down thru the family that always sparked that interest of wondering "where did I come from?" I have always known that my great-grandfather, on the Phillippo side, came over to the United States from Italy, but what about the other sides of my family.

When I was in high school, I remember reading a book at Grandpa Woolridge's house that was put together by his cousin on the ancestry of the Woolridge family. When I lived in Mattoon, a year after graduation, I remember my father loaning me his copy of the book. I read it cover to cover, many times, and from that point on, I was hooked. [Sixteen years later, I am still excited with each and every new piece of information I uncover in my quest to discover where I came from!]

So, I began with knowing that the Woolridge side of my family had been researched, but I was curious about other branches of my ancestry. In particular, I was the most interested in two branches: the Phillippo side, which I knew came from Italy, and my great-grandma Elzy's family, which I knew so little about.

I would like to begin my next few blogs with explaining the successes I have had while researching, the dead ends I have come across, and some of the helpful people I have met along the way. I hope you will enjoy reading my stories as much as I will enjoy telling them!

No comments:

Post a Comment